Social Meets will be focused on bringing the team together over a casual, non-work related topic. This should either be a set daily question, or an activity for the attendees to participate in. Everybody in amazee.io will have a turn to host one social meet for one whole week, before a new colleague takes over from them.
There are 3 social meets a day:
- APAC/EMEA: 07:30 UTC
- EMEA/AMER: 16:00 UTC
- AMER/APAC: 23:00 UTC
- Each social meet will be hosted for one week by the same person.
- The same person should not host more than one social meet a day.
- Should last around 15-30 minutes.
- During on of the weekly Social Meets, the meeting is replaced with an AMA (Ask Me Anything), whereby the host for the week presents themselves and explains to the team their day to day work and the nature of their position for 5 minutes.
- Each social meet (APAC/EMEA, EMEA/AMER, AMER/APAC) should have a separate question or activity from one another but can also be run as water-cooler without predefined topic
- Topics shall be announced in the #amazeeio-team channel upfront
- At the end of the week, the host of the finished week, informs the host of the next week about their duties (pass the baton).
- The host should ask one question to the whole call, with each attendee answering it in turn, or the host can undertake a game/activity for everyone to participate in.
- The host is responsible for providing a question or activity each day to the team.
- It could be a completely different question or activity each day, or the host may choose a particular theme for their week, such as “murder mystery” or “finding out about each other”.
- The daily question to social meets should be posted in the amazeeio-team channel on slack at least 10 minutes before the social meet starts, to give attendees the chance to think of meaningful answers.
- If a host cannot attend social meets due to sickness, annual leave, or any other reason, then it is the host’s responsibility to find a replacement host.
We want you to use your imagination and come up with your own questions. However some ideas we have seen work well before if you are looking for some inspiration.
“What is the most quirky/weird thing that you feel is unique to where you live?”
“What advice would you give your 18 year old self now?”
“If you're stranded on a desert island and have the option of bringing three items with you, what three items would they be?”
“If you could have any celebrity over for dinner, who would it be and why?”
Maybe you don’t want to ask a question but instead want to involve the team in a game. Some we have succeeded with in the past have been:
- Murder Mystery (This spans from Monday to Thursday, with questions being answered and clue’s being revealed each day as to who killed the victim).
- Have a vote on different categories of “Most likely too..” e.g. Most likely to do a skydive, most likely to lose their phone, etc.
- A quiz, either general knowledge or about different Amazees
- Zoom rock, paper, scissors
- https://really.boring.website/ - An online word game similar to Scattergories
- https://jigsawpuzzles.io/ - online collaborative jigsaw puzzles (no signup needed for participants)
- https://www.drawasaurus.org - online drawsaurus (no signup needed )
- https://cardsagainst.io/ - online tech-themed "Cards against" style games (no signup needed for participants)
- https://virtualvacation.us/private-room - GeoGuesser style game in a multiplayer format (no signup needed)
- https://geotastic.de - Similar to GeoGuesser but with a different game play and modes (no signup needed for participants)
Try to avoid an activity which involves shouting out answers or talking over each other, it doesn’t Zoom well.
If your activity involves prep, such as “show us the oldest thing in your house” etc, then try to make the team aware of the activity as early as possible, to allow them time between meetings etc.
Make sure your activities are inclusive of everyone. Non-Native English speakers may be at a disadvantage with games like Scrabble, and non-US colleagues may not be so able to name all 50 states in a quiz.